Sudan opposition says to nominate members for transitional council

Cheryl Sanders
June 12, 2019

Lieutenant General Jamaleddine Omar, a military council member, said on state television late on Sunday: "The military council has chose to reinforce the presence of armed forces, RSF [Rapid Support Forces] and other regular forces to help normal life return".

The overall death toll since June 3 has reached 118, according to a doctors committee linked to the protesters who are pressing the military to hand over power to a civilian administration. The militias were widely accused of crimes against humanity, and al-Bashir - now jailed in Khartoum - was indicted on charges of genocide.

He urged that the United Nations and the AU "not turn their backs on people in Darfur who rely on peacekeepers for protection".

"The Alliance for Freedom and Change (umbrella protest movement) is fully responsible for recent unfortunate incidents. including blocking roads which is violating worldwide humanitarian laws", Lieutenant General Jamaleddine Omar said on state television late Sunday.

The New York-based group said the RSF violently broke up the protesters' main sit-in camp outside the military's headquarters in Khartoum on June 3.


However, he said that the TMC is adamant that the head of the new council should be from the military.

The Forces of the Declaration of Freedom and Change demanded the release of political prisoners before considering a possible return to negotiations with the TMC.

The military-run government did not appear to be softening its position.

The timid return to normalcy came as the ruling military council announced that security forces on the streets would be boosted after four people were killed in clashes on Sunday - the first day of the campaign - two in Khartoum and two in the capital´s twin city of Omdurman, just across the Nile river.

An attempt at mediating the crisis between the TMC and opposition groups by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, who had met with both sides in Khartoum on Friday, is yet to show results. Internet had largely been cut off in the capital already.


It also follows the loss of service on Canar Telecom and Mobiltel Zain networks earlier this month, NetBlocks said.

Cyber security monitor Netblocks said "an nearly total blackout" started around noon local time.

The New Arab has contacted the Central Committee of Sudan Doctors for comment on the reports.

It said the attack wounded at least 20 people.

Due to the continued blocking of the internet by the Sudanese authorities, on Saturday the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), which spearheads the protests, sent thousands of text messages outlining the guidelines for escalating peaceful confrontation through disobedience.


The UN humanitarian agency said customs offices at Port Sudan, the country's main port, were open on Monday and resumed their functions with limited capacities.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER