Police in Hungary lift capsized tourist boat from Danube

Cheryl Sanders
June 11, 2019

The barge was to be handed over to police as part of their investigation into the nighttime collision, which took place during heavy rain. So far, 19 South Koreans have been confirmed dead and seven remain missing.

Police spokesman Kristof Gal said although it was not yet officially confirmed, the Hableany's Hungarian captain and a young South Korean girl are believed to be among the four bodies taken off the boat after it was raised to the river surface.

Early on in the operation, police were seen by an AFP photographer at the site removing four bodies from the vessel.

Four bodies, three of them believed to be South Koreans, were found in the wreck of a tour boat raised from the Danube River early Tuesday (Budapest time), almost two weeks after its deadly sinking left 26 South Koreans dead or missing.

Divers entered the sightseeing boat as a floating crane slowly brought it to the surface.

The lifting of the vessel from the water is planned in several stages, depending on factors such as the condition of the hull and the discovery of bodies.

Hungarian and South Korean rescuers started efforts Tuesday to raise a sunken tour boat out of the Danube River after a fatal collision.

Salvage workers have recovered the wreck of a tourist boat that capsized in Budapest after a collision two weeks ago in a disaster that claimed 28 lives.

A floating crane raised the boat from waters beneath the Margit bridge in downtown Budapest, live TV footage showed.

The cruise ship's captain - identified only as Yuriy C.in line with Hungarian laws - has been under arrest since June 1, suspected of endangering water transport leading to a deadly mass accident. Only seven people of the 35 people on board are known to have survived the accident, with the prospect of finding any more passengers alive seen as practically zero.

The Viking Sigyn, which left Budapest less than 48 hours after the collision with the Hableany, is back in Hungary on a scheduled trip and docked at the town of Visegrad, north of Budapest.

Other reports by iNewsToday