IN girl contracts flesh-eating bacteria on vacation in Florida

Henrietta Brewer
June 28, 2019

"It's just so hard seeing friends and family on the beach having fun because we were there doing the same thing, and I nearly lost her", Kylei's mother, Michelle Brown, said.

After arriving to Florida amid a few stormy days, they had been in the clear to go to the seashore June 9.

"Monday, we wake up to begin our day and Kylei wakes up and she has pain in her calf on her right leg", Brown told CBS affiliate WKRG.

The crucial life-saving decisions as doctors raced to save a 12-year-old girl from a potentially fatal infection have been revealed.

Brown said that her daughter was in the doctor's office at home in IN with a concerning amount of pain by Thursday at 11 a.m., and by that afternoon, she was at Riley Hospital for Children with a fever, swelling and a red line running down her calf.


"It's just so hard seeing friends and family on the beach and having fun, because we were there doing the same thing and I nearly lost her", she said. "It was an aggressive infection and has already spread up her leg to her thigh".

Doctors initially thought Kylei might be suffering from a blood clot, but as her condition worsened, they reevaluated the diagnosis.

The doctor asked Brown to take Kylei to the ER. The girl underwent additional surgeries after she developed septic shock. So far she's had three surgeries. She improved some and we were able to leave PICU and go to a regular room and floor.

"They were taking into emergency surgery trying to remove the infection from her leg".

Kylei spent about a week in the hospital and was sent home, where she is now recovering. Kylei was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, a very rare flesh-eating disease.


The disease has an extremely high mortality rate, and accurate diagnosis, rapid antibiotic administration and prompt surgery are extremely important in successful treatment, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. The disease kills 1 in 3 people who develop it, per the Indianapolis Star.

Kylei's mother believed her daughter contracted the infection through a scrape on her toe, which was exposed to the water during their trip to the beach during their vacation.

She and her family went to Florida for vacation and while they were there, they visited the beach.

"We will have numerous doctors visits, physical therapy and blood work to continue, but all that matters is my girl is ALIVE", Brown wrote, in part.

Safely back at home Kylei is on a drip for antibiotics and is beginning the hard process of learning to walk again. "It is CRITICAL to be aware of the signs and symptoms and getting treatment quickly", Michelle wrote.


Meanwhile, officials with the Florida Department of Health issued a statement about the reported incident.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER