At least 16 hurt in bomb blast near tourist coach in Cairo

Cheryl Sanders
May 20, 2019

Most of those injured were foreign tourists, two sources told Reuters.

According to local and worldwide reports, including social media posts, an explosion near the Grand Egyptian Museum - which has not yet opened to the public - left a tour bus with shattered windows.

There are no reports of deaths in the blast so far.

The bus hit the roadside bomb on the Marioutiya Road in the pyramid district.


The three wounded South African tourists would remain in hospital, South African ambassador to Egypt, Vusi Mavimbela said on Sunday.

At least 16 people were injured in a blast near a tourist coach in Cairo, Al Jazeera television channel reported on Sunday.

Atif Moftah, general supervisor of the Grand Egyptian Museum, said the explosion did not cause any damage to the museum, in a statement issued by the antiquities ministry.

Some people, including four Egyptians in a nearby auto, were wounded by broken glass from the two vehicles, state TV said in a video shared by the ministry.


One witness told Reuters he heard a "very loud explosion" while sitting in traffic. Footage circulated online shows shattered windows of the bus.

The attack comes as the Egyptian tourism sector is recovering following years of crisis that followed the 2011 Arab Spring uprising that ended with the toppling of then-leader Hosni Mubarak.

The attack is the second to target foreign tourists near the famed pyramids in less than six months.

No group has immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.


Last December three Vietnamese tourists and a local tour guide were killed after a roadside bomb hit their bus.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER