Six Nations: Ireland's attack 'like watching paint dry'

Ross Houston
February 11, 2019

Ireland's regulation win had some shine with the return of flyhalf Joey Carbery, who was on after only 23 minutes when playmaker Jonathan Sexton came off for a head knock.

"It's going to be a different experience from past Six Nations as I have to fly back to France instead of staying in camp here", explained Russell. "These are the situations you love to be in when you're on the back foot and you have to come out fighting".

His coach Gregor Townsend took responsibility, saying Scotland had to improve their set-pieces.

"Now we've got to make sure we kick on".

Tommy Seymour sprinted back to cover but he and Sean Maitland got too close and the pass between the wings went high and astray, Conor Murray seizing on the gift for the try, which went unconverted. 'If we were able to replicate it in the second, I think we'd be here with a win.' Laidlaw, meanwhile, was critical of referee Poite, citing one instance of particular injustice as far as the Scotland captain was concerned.

"We had our chances and we took them, we were clinical".

First blood went to the hosts via a Greig Laidlaw penalty. "Because he is who he is that's going to happen and Johnny probably knew he was only going to play 20 minutes so he jammed it all into that time", Schmidt said.

"I threw a forward pass".

"Johnny Sexton got a bit of treatment out there and he got a stamp on the head but he is feeling better and we expect him to be back in the next couple of weeks", the 53-year-old told the BBC.

"I felt we dominated that first half, a lot of that was through how we defended as well as how we attacked - it's a message for our players that we can play at that level and create more opportunities".

"We get huge confidence from each other, we know we're good enough and it was an incredible performance to beat a side with the quality that Scotland have".

Another stand-out performer for Scotland was Jamie Ritchie, pictured, who put in an vast back-row shift against Ireland's formidable breakdown specialists.

But Ireland had a firm grip on the ball and the game and Carbery replied in kind to keep his team in control with 10 minutes remaining.

Other reports by iNewsToday