U.K. police speak to Prince Philip about not wearing seatbelt

Carla Harmon
January 20, 2019

But after passing an eye test he was back behind the wheel of a new Land Rover, just 48 hours after the dramatic crash.

Since then he was pictured again driving a replacement vehicle around Sandringham without a seatbelt prompting Norfolk police to have "suitable words of advice" to him.

"This is in line with our standard response when being made aware of such images showing this type of offense", a police spokeswoman said.

Meanwhile, a woman who broke her wrist in Thursday's crash near the royal country residence in Norfolk, eastern England, has reportedly complained about not receiving an apology from the Prince.

But he remarkably walked away without any injuries, while the two women suffered minor injuries and the nine-month-old baby escaped unscathed.


His auto crashed with a Kia, the 28-year-old driver of whom suffered cuts to her knee.

Buckingham Palace said Philip, 97, went to the local hospital but was found to have no injuries of concern.

"I still haven't had any contact from the royal household", Fairweather, 46, told the Sunday Mirror, according to Sky News.

She said she had only had a cryptic message passed on via a police family liaison officer, which said: "The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh would like to be remembered to you".

She was joined by son Prince Andrew for the service earlier today, but the Duke of Edinburgh was nowhere to be seen. However, pictures released by the Daily Mail and the Sun on Saturday show him driving without a seatbelt, an offence that could carry an on-the-spot penalty fine of 100 pounds (€114).


Aftermath of crash at Sandringham, involving Prince Philip.

However, the incident has raised questions over whether the Prince - five months from his 98th birthday - should still be allowed to drive. There is no upper age limit for licensing drivers in Britain, although drivers over 70 are required to renew their licenses every three years and tell authorities about certain medical ailments that might raise safety issues. I kept thinking he (the Prince) was going to stop, but he didn't.

Philip was photographed back behind the wheel on Saturday.

Buckingham Palace has not yet responded to the latest photographs.

He has largely retired from public life but still is occasionally seen at family occasions with the Queen.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER