Kalamazoo Uber driver pleads guilty to 6 murders in 2016

Cheryl Sanders
January 9, 2019

An Uber driver charged with killing six strangers in between picking up passengers pleaded guilty to murder in MI on Monday, just before attorneys were set to interview jurors for his trial.

Jason Dalton made the surprise decision Monday just as jury selection was set to get underway in his trial.

Jason Dalton pleaded guilty to killing six people during a shooting spree in Kalamazoo, Mich.in 2016.

Dalton shot eight people, including six fatally, at three locations in the Kalamazoo area on 20 February 2016.

He had previously claimed that the Uber app made him carry out the shootings.


There was no sentencing agreements that hinged on Dalton's guilty pleas. The 2016 shootings took place outside a Cracker Barrel in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and claimed the lives of four women, as well as a father and son who were at a nearby auto dealership.

He was found competent to stand trial and last week dropped an insanity defense.

A judge presiding over Dalton's subsequent plea of guilty on four counts of murder and two of attempted murder asked the 45-year-old if he was entering it voluntarily, to which he replied "Yes, I've wanted this for quite a while". He faces a mandatory life sentence without parole.

Dalton's defense attorney, Eusebio Solis, stated that he advised his client to plead not guilty but that Dalton insisted he wanted to spare families from more grief during the trial.

Dalton's motives remain a mystery.


He then gunned down Mary Lou Nye, 62, Mary Jo Nye, 60, Dorothy "Judy" Brown, 74, and Barbara Hawthorne, 68, in a restaurant parking lot - where he also shot a 14-year-old girl who survived.

"He either shook his head or said no, and I said, 'Are you sure?' " Derek continued.

"We're very happy that we're able to reach this resolution", Getting said as reported by ABC News.

"The report also showed there were more than 7.7 million property crimes previous year".

According to Uber, Dalton passed a background check and the company passed along its condolences after the mass shooting. "Doing this is what's best for the people of this community, it's what's best for our victims".


But he told the judge: "There are personal reasons for him".

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER