Violence Flares After Israeli Operation In Gaza Turns Deadly

Cheryl Sanders
November 13, 2018

The Israels political-security cabinet will convene tomorrow at 16:00 at the Tel Aviv headquarters. Hardline Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman said he had opposed "transferring the money to Hamas".

"The resistance will respect this declaration as long as the Zionist enemy respects it".

Violence has simmered since Palestinians launched weekly border protests on March 30 to demand the easing of a blockade on Gaza and rights to lands lost in the 1948 war of Israel's founding. Hamas says the Israelis opened fire on Palestinians who "tried to thwart the attack".

Sirens wailed in southern Israel and tens of thousands of residents had taken cover in shelters as around 460 rockets and mortar rounds were fired from the Gaza Strip, wounding 27 people, including three severely.

The dead man was identified on Tuesday afternoon as Mahmoud Abu Asbah, 48, a Palestinian from West Bank town of Halhul, north of Hebron.

Hamas, the Muslim movement that runs the blockaded enclave, and the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades spoke of a "cowardly Israeli attack" and an "assassination", vowing revenge.


Sunday night's incident comes after apparent progress in an Egyptian- and UN-brokered process to mediate after a series of escalations between the two sides in recent months.

"Rockets must stop. Restraint must be shown by all!"

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu cut short a trip to Paris and rushed home as tensions rose, and on Monday convened a meeting of security chiefs.

At least 12 Palestinians have been killed, including those killed in fresh attacks, since Israel's assault on Gaza on Sunday. Some commenters suggested that the Israeli officials realized that such thinly-veiled threats to Palestinian civilians are not meant for the English-speaking audiences and erased it. Others suggested Twitter could have deleted it following complaints about threats of violence by other users.

Rivlin was visibly moved, with tears in his eyes as he eulogized the 41-year-old soldier, who left behind a wife and two children.

The army also said the Iron Dome missile defense system had intercepted about 60 rockets fired.


Hussam Aldejani, a Gaza-based political analyst, told The National that the clash indicated the preparedness of the Hamas fighters in responding to a secretive Israeli operation.

The military said jets struck several "key strategic" Hamas targets, including military compounds, rocket launching posts and part of its vast underground tunnel network. Near the destroyed TV station, residents salvaged papers and belongings from their damaged houses. Islamic Jihad spokesman Daoud Shehab said the groups wanted "the occupation and its supporters to know that the lives of our sons come with a price".

The Israeli military said there had been an exchange of fire during an operation in Gaza, with troops withdrawing from the territory with the help of aircraft.

Last week, Israel allowed Qatar to deliver $15 million to Gaza to allow cash-strapped Hamas to pay the salaries of thousands of government workers.

A wounded protester is evacuated during clashes near the border between Israeli-occupied territories and Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on November 9, 2018.

More than 170 Palestinians, most unarmed, have been killed by Israeli fire during the protests.


Israel said the station "broadcasts violent propaganda" and provides "operational messaging" to militants.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER