Man shot by police after stabbing spree in Melbourne city center

Cheryl Sanders
November 9, 2018

One person has been killed and two others wounded as a knife-wielding man went on a rampage in a busy street in central Melbourne.

"Police shot the male in a chest and he is now in critical condition under guard in hospital", Victorian police superintendent David Clayton told reporters.

The knifeman then attacked three people, with one of them dead.

Police are asking people to avoid the area and said more information would be given when it was available. The attacker was detained after police shot him in the chest.

No other suspects are being sought.

Police said there was no terrorism link at this stage but they are "keeping an open mind".


Police said officers "initially responded to a report of a vehicle on fire" in the city centre at 4:20 pm local time, but discovered at the scene that members of the public had been stabbed.

Videos from the scene showed officers arresting the man on the sidewalk immediately after he was shot.

The Friday incident took place blocks away from Flinders Street Railway Station, where a driver plowed into pedestrians a year ago, injuring 18.

Police are urging any witnesses to attend Melbourne West police station to provide a statement, while anyone with vision or photographs from the incident is being urged to upload footage to the Victoria Police Facebook site.

"One person has been taken to hospital with a neck injury". HUNDREDS of police have swooped on Bourke Street in Melbourne's CBD after a vehicle reportedly burst into flames and a man began attacking police with a knife.

Victoria Police said a bomb response unit had been called to the area and was now making the scene safe.


The incident comes as a trial continues into the horrifying rampage in Bourke St in January previous year.

The exact circumstances are yet to be determined at this stage.

"I didn't know what was happening there was just so much chaos and screaming". Police response was swift and overwhelming.

The Metropolitan Fire Brigade said the fire was contained within 10 minutes.

James Gargasoulas is accused of deliberately driving his auto into pedestrians on Bourke Street, hitting 33 people.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER