[H]ardOCP: Blizzard Responds to Diablo: Immortal Backlash

Yolanda Curtis
November 8, 2018

The weekend long event traditionally holds new game announcements and content reveals for many of Blizzard's beloved catalogue of games, such as Overwatch and Starcraft. What we said was we have multiple Diablo teams working on multiple projects. NetEase develops and operates some of China's most popular PC-client and mobile games, and partners with Blizzard Entertainment, Mojang AB (a Microsoft subsidiary) and other global game developers to operate some of the most popular worldwide online games in China. And it always will be. To say fans were disappointed is to understate things greatly. "It's a big initiative for us across Blizzard, and you can expect to see more mobile titles from us spanning all of our IPs at some point in the future".


Probably not soon - it could take until E3 next year (so June 2019) or even later (potentially Blizzcon next year, in November). He said that all assets and the works of art are unique to Diablo Immortal. Scrolling through the 274 (and counting) replies to Warhammer: Chaosbane's tweet you'll mostly find reaction images, memes, and one Twitter user evoking Warhammer to state that "mobile games are for chaos heretics". "No", he replied to the facetiously phrased question, "it's a fully fledged Diablo experience on mobile, which everybody will get to play, and hopefully, which will bring new heroes to Sanctuary as well as welcoming our community back into it and something we're very excited about".


It's no secret that since its announcement Blizzard has received a lot of heat for Diablo Immortal, as fans who have been waiting for Diablo 4 criticised this reveal and comparisons were instantly drawn between this and other mobile RPGs like Crusaders of Light. Apparently, Diablo 4 is in development, but the team wasn't ready to commit to an announcement as the game has changed "drastically" over the past four years and may continue to evolve. Diablo 4 development was already teased earlier in an official blog post from Blizzard. The fact that Blizzard chose to end Blizzcon's opening ceremony by debuting a watered-down entry in a beloved franchise, along with their erasure of negative responses, signals to many that, for better or worse, this mobile entry is the top priority of the Diablo franchise. The move sounds like it would have been very similar to Bethesda's Elder Scrolls 6 announcement at E3, an entirely insubstantial statement of the obvious that nonetheless had fans in a much happier frenzy.


In a lengthy Twitter thread, the developer said: "I hate to say it, but what you are seeing is Blizzard not understanding gamers anymore".

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER