Angela Quintal: SA journalist released after dubious detention in Tanzania

Cheryl Sanders
November 9, 2018

"It is now abundantly clear to anyone who followed the latest developments that Tanzanian journalists work in a climate of fear of intimidation, " he noted.

Angela Quintal and Muthoki Mumo were permitted to return to their hotel in Dar es Salaam after being taken to an unknown location and subjected to "several hours of questioning", according to a news release.

They were detained by Tanzanian authorities on Wednesday night for reasons that remain unclear.

The two, who work for the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) were arrested by Tanzanian immigration authorities after being in the country for reporting missions.

Quintal‚ who is the Africa Programme co-ordinator for the Committee to Protect Journalists‚ had on Wednesday first sent a message from her Facebook page‚ stating that she and a colleague‚ Sub-Saharan Africa representative Muthoki Mumo‚ were being detained.

CPJ Executive Director Joel Simon expressed appreciation to journalists, media, press freedom organisations and government officials who spoke out about Quintal and Mumo's detention.

Earlier on, Quintal's sister Genevieve Quintal faulted information shared through her Twitter account, saying that it was shared by Tanzanian police.

"We continue to engage with our Government of Tanzania counterparts on a wide range of issues, including those related to human rights", the State Department said in a statement. "We call on the authorities to immediately release them and return their passports".

In the meantime, the Department of International Relations and Cooperation is trying to establish what has happened.

Mabaya said their release came "after a lot of calls" but neither of the women had been given back their passport.

"Their questions focused on wanting to know the level of freedom of media in the country", he said.

There is confusion around whether or not well-known South African journalist Angela Quintal and her colleague have been released after appealing for help on social media, saying they had been taken for interrogation in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

Other reports by iNewsToday