A man has been killed in another shark attack in the Whitsundays

Cheryl Sanders
November 7, 2018

Rescue workers said the man suffered serious wounds to his legs and one arm in the attack, which happened on Monday afternoon in the Whitsunday islands off Queensland state.

Numerous charter boat operators were sensitive enough about the attacks to refuse the ABC's attempts yesterday to charter a boat out to Cid Harbour, amid concern about adverse media attention on the region.

He had dived into the water to give the woman her turn on the board when the shark attacked, O'Connell said.

A man is in a critical condition after he was attacked by a shark at the Whitsunday Islands off Cid Harbour, where two tourists were mauled in separate attacks within 24 hours in September.

The man was on a sailing holiday with 10 friends and the group was taking turns to paddle board on the water, Queensland Police said.

They anchored 14 miles from Airlie Beach in Cid Harbour, intending to spend their first night in the popular, protected anchorage on Whitsunday Island, the uninhabited largest island in the group.

Christidis was taken by helicopter to the Mackay Base Hospital, 100 kilometres (60 miles) to the south, where he died.

RACQ CQ Rescue crewman Ben McCauley said the man's injuries were "absolutely horrific".

A 46-year-old tourist, Justine Barwick, is recovering after she was attacked on September 19 while swimming from a yacht in Cid Harbour.

That attack had occured off Dent Island and 60-year-old tourist Patricia Trumbull survived lacerations to her buttocks and major blood loss.

"We have to understand that while there have been two attacks in rapid succession, shark attacks are rare and sharks play an important role in the ecosystem of the Great Barrier Reef", he said. He was on the first day of a five-day cruise in the Whitsundays with a number of friends.

Daniel Gschwind, chief executive of the Queensland Tourism Industry Council, which represents more than 3,000 tourism businesses, said authorities were methodically examining why the unprecedented series of attacks had occurred and whether environmental changes are a factor.

Authorities responded to the two attacks by culling six sharks in the area and installing drum lines for a week.

"We are talking about a very vast area and certainly I would hate that the message got out that it was safe to swim in the Whitsundays when we can't guarantee that safety", Ms Jones said on Tuesday. Critics argued that killing sharks was not the answer.

Other reports by iNewsToday