Texas surf resort closed for ‘brain-eating amoeba’ testing

Henrietta Brewer
October 1, 2018

The 29-year-old man died in New Jersey earlier this month after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri.

Mr Parsons said Mr Stabile had been in the park's wave pool.

Stabile complained of a headache on September 16, and the following day he was found to be incoherent and unable to get out of bed.


Fabrizio Stabile, 29, died September 21, according to his obituary.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is conducting tests on the water at BSR Cable Park, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported, and the park's Surf Resort has closed voluntarily as it awaits the results. Officials are investigating the source.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is now investigating the case and BSR has voluntarily ceased operation until conclusive results are available.


The infection, which can cause a deadly infection called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, usually occurs when contaminated water enters a person's nose, the CDC said. The amoeba is commonly found in warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers, ponds and canals.

Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic amoeba which is a single-celled living organism.

Naegleria fowleri infections are rare. The investigation follows the tragic death of New Jersey surfer Fabrizio "Fab" Stabile, who passed away from an infection caused by the amoeba shortly after surfing BSR's wavepool. "We hope to have results by the end of the week", Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokeswoman Kelly Craine said. "BSR Surf Resort operates a state-of-the-art artificial man-made wave".


Of the 34 cases reported in the United States between 2008 and 2017, 30 people had been infected by recreational water, three people were infected after performing nasal irrigation using contaminated tap water, and one person was infected by contaminated tap water used on a backyard water toy.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER