Ronaldo left out of Portugal squad

Ross Houston
October 6, 2018

Ronaldo has been accused of rape by Kathryn Mayorga, who says the player assaulted her in Las Vegas in 2009.

Ronaldo, through his Twitter, faulted the media for riding on the explosive allegations, adding that his conscience was clear.

"There was a conversation with the player, the president of the federation [Fernando Gomes] and I. We agreed that the player would not be in these two call-ups, this and the next one in November".

Ronaldo on Wednesday denied Mayorga's allegation.

The 33-year-old didn't attend the FIFA Best Awards in London last month, with both him and Lionel Messi missing out, despite being up for awards.


Leslie Stovall, another lawyer for Mayorga, told reporters his client had suffered years of trauma as a result of the alleged attack, but had found the strength to speak out thanks to the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment and assault at the hands of powerful men.

"We have seen the concerning report that details allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo", EA Sports said.

"Keen as I may be to clear my name I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense". Alongside sportswear giant Nike, publisher EA Sports has said that it's "closely monitoring the situation" after rape allegations emerged against the footballer.

Cristiano Ronaldo, shown here at this year's World Cup, won't be playing for Portugal in the immediate future.

Less than 24-hour ago, her legal reps disclosed that a summons concerning the civil lawsuit against the Juventus star has been dispatched and Ronaldo has 20 days to respond.


Mr Stovall disputed published reports and a statement from Las Vegas police that Ms Mayorga has not identified Ronaldo to law enforcement as the alleged attacker.

Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal takes on Uruguay in the Round of 16 Match on Saturday.

Ronaldo played for Juventus in Serie A on Saturday but missed the midweek Champions League fixture against Young Boys after being sent off in the previous fixture against Valencia.

Luis Enrique has also handed a first ever call up to Wolverhampton Wanderers defender Jonny Castro and recalled Real Betis defender Marc Bartra and Borussia Dortmund forward Paco Alcacer, having worked with the latter pair while at Barcelona.

The five-time Ballon d´Or victor missed the two internationals Portugal played in September.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER