Jokowi Wants Saudi Transparent in Khashoggi Murder Investigation

Cheryl Sanders
October 24, 2018

According to the Saudi account, Khashoggi's death followed a fistfight with a team that was sent to negotiate his return. Prosecutors have previously questioned consulate staff.

Some Turkish employees reportedly said they were instructed not to go to work around the time Khashoggi disappeared. "We are determined to punish those who are responsible for this murder".

New Turkish surveillance video obtained by CNN shows a body double emerging from the consulate just hours after Khashoggi entered the building, apparently wearing clothes taken off Khashoggi's body but with mismatched shoes. "This was an operation where individuals ended up exceeding the authorities and responsibilities they had", Jubeir told US broadcaster Fox. "That is unacceptable to the government".

A Saudi friend of Khashoggi told The Associated Press that Khashoggi's son, Salah, has been under a travel ban since previous year as a result of his father's criticism of the kingdom.

Turkish police have named 15 men, including several of Prince Mohammed's personal employees and an Australia-trained, bone-saw wielding Saudi pathologist, who allegedly made up a "hit squad" to kill Khashoggi.


The newspaper said the four calls went to Bader al-Asaker, the head of Prince Mohammed's office. The admission on Friday came after weeks of Saudi denials and shifting narratives on the whereabouts of Khashoggi, who entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2 and was never seen again.

Turkish officials say the Turkish president and his American counterpart have spoken over the phone and discussed the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

"We are faced with a situation in which it was a brutally planned (killing) and efforts were made to cover it up", Celik said.

Khashoggi speaks during an interview at an undisclosed location.

Even as Trump criticized Saudi Arabia's fist-fight explanation for Khashoggi's death, he told the Post Riyadh has been an "incredible ally" of the United States for decades and it is possible the crown prince did not order Saudi agents to kill Khashoggi.


"It sounded to me like maybe these could have been rogue killers", Mr Trump said, adding: "Who knows?" He urged U.S. President Donald Trump, the U.S. Congress and the global community to demand evidence of what happened to Mr. Khashoggi. Retno said the visit was scheduled after the Saudi monarch visited Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim-majority nation, in March a year ago. Speaking late Saturday after a campaign rally in Nevada, Trump said he needs to learn more about the killing and will be working with Congress on the USA response. "Then Prince Mohammed contacted Khashoggi by phone and tried to convince him to return to Riyadh", the report alleges.

"There will be a lot of people watching on Tuesday to see what kind of evidence he's really going to put out justifying or explaining what the Turks say they know about how this incident happened".

Chancellor Angela Merkel said Sunday that arms exports to Saudi Arabia "can't take place in the situation we're now in".

A CNN composite image compares Jamal Khashoggi (left) to a body double (right).


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER