Conor is back - UFC says McGregor will fight October 6

Andrew Cummings
August 6, 2018

Nurmagomedov claimed the vacant belt by defeating Al Iaquinta - a late stand-in after the withdrawals of Tony Ferguson and Max Holloway - by unanimous decision, and his first defence will be against McGregor.

UFC president Dana White made the announcement during a news conference Friday (Aug. 3), revealing that McGregor-Nurmagomedov would headline UFC 229 at Vegas' T-Mobile Arena. Last month he was sentenced to five days of community service in the United States after pleading guilty to disorderly conduct.

Nurmagomedov was the intended target of McGregor's wrath after a previous spat between the fighters' camps.

White, who's experienced frustrating talks with Diaz and his brother, Nick, for more than a decade, said, "Stylistically, it's an incredible fight".


McGregor had initiated the bus attack in response to Nurmagomedov and his team's cornering of Artem Lobov, who is one of the Irishman's good friends, ahead of UFC 223.

McGregor won titles in Cage Warriors, transitioned into premier cage-fighting firm UFC, and continued to trounce his opponents.

He is a formidable challenger for McGregor in a return from a 23-month break from MMA competition. It likely won't match 2017's biggest fight in terms of revenue, but it's a far better fight, if you ask me.

McGregor will bid to reclaim the lightweight title, which he was forced to give up due to inactivity.


McGregor has posted several photos on social media this week hyping his physical fitness in advance of the announcement, which neither fighter attended.

Although Diaz alluded to unspecified legal troubles that kept him out of action, the veteran brawler also had waited two years in hopes of getting a highly lucrative third fight with McGregor.

Khabib Nurmagomedov's manager, Ali Abdelaziz, has said he would be happy to see his client take home $10 million for the bout, according to R-Sport.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER