Ben Stokes trial: England cricketer told 'shut up or I'll bottle you'

Ross Houston
August 10, 2018

He also mentioned that the two other men - Ryan Ali and Ryan Hale, who are standing trial also accused of affray along with Stokes - left the club and accompanied O'Connor and Barry.

Det Con Daniel Adams, the officer in the case, told the court Mr Hale "returns with what appears to be a metal pole with a t-bar on it".

They are jointly charged in connection with an incident in the Clifton Triangle area of Bristol on September 25 past year - several hours after England had played a one-day global against the West Indies in the city.

Ali also described how, as he lay "in the gutter" having allegedly been punched by Stokes, he made a phone call to the council's CCTV office to ensure they had footage of the incident.

"Ali responds by pushing Barry away, albeit with no significant force", he told the jury.

"I chose to intervene and asked Ryan Ali and Ryan Hale to stop abusing Kai and William".

"One of the guys responded - he said "shut up or I'll bottle you" in an aggressive tone to me".

Police constable Stacey Alway, who arrested Stokes at the scene, said he was calm and compliant when she dealt with him.

"It was homophobic in nature". I said something like 'leave it out - you shouldn't be taking the piss because they're gay'.

Nicholas Corsellis, prosecuting, told the jury: "Mr Cunningham observed Mr Stokes's behaviour towards them".

"I decided at this point matters had become too serious to ignore and that I had to intervene to stop Ryan Ali".

Shortly afterwards, he knocked out two men in a street brawl witnessed by the two gay men, jurors were told. I struck Ryan Ali with my right hand just after he had delivered the blow on Kai and as he came at me with the bottle and had it raised. He said the pair "scuffled" on the floor, before Hale grabbed him from behind.

"I got a little frightened so closed the window and went back to bed". "I was concerned for myself and others", he claimed.

"I was anxious it might be two on to one and I knew one had had a bottle", Stokes told police.

Stokes, who starred on Saturday as England beat India in the first Test at Edgbaston, is missing the second Test at Lord's due to the trial, which is expected to last five to seven days.

Other reports by iNewsToday