Twitter abuzz with jokes on Thai Cave rescue movie's 'whitewashing'

Carla Harmon
July 12, 2018

The boys are in isolation in hospital to prevent infections by outsiders, but family members have seen some of them from behind a glass screen, and after a period of time with no problems, the family members will be allowed closer while dressed in sterilised clothing.

Thongchai Lertwilairatanapong, a public health inspector, said earlier Tuesday that the boys lost an average of 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) while they were trapped.

The complex, three-day rescue saw four boys emerge on Sunday, four on Monday, and the final four boys plus their coach on Tuesday. Two of the first group had a lung infection as well.

Details also emerged about the rescue, with the boys sedated and passed on stretchers along the twisting, narrow passageways, and tributes flowed for the global team of rescuers who never gave up in the quest to save the team.

The group had entered the sprawling Tham Luang cave in northern Thailand to go exploring after soccer practice on June 23, but monsoon rains filled the tight passageways, blocking their escape, and pushing them deeper inside in search of a refuge.

The footage, which was posted on the Thai Navy SEAL Facebook page and captioned "the operation the world never forgets", appears to show the workers carrying the boys on stretchers.

"Harry has put the mission out there as the number one thing to do and to look after those boys and to be part of a multinational team to be able to bring them safely home".

He also paid a tribute to former Thai navy SEAL, Saman Kunan, who died last week during the rescue mission.

Having completed this section, the boys were then handed over to separate, specialist rescue teams, who helped them through the remainder of the cave, much of which they could wade through. "I have to praise the coach who took care of the footballers very well", Lertvirairatanapong said.

The four boys rescued first are "well, they're up and about", Sky News' southeast Asia correspondent, Siobhan Robbins, said.

Narongsak, giving details of the rescue, said falling oxygen levels inside the cave complex had added a sense of urgency.

The film company says they are now in talks with "senior officials in Thailand both on provincial and national levels".

The rescue mission which spanned days was a success after everyone was rescued.

Police officers took photographs of each other at the massive cave entrance, as pumps continued to suck out huge volumes of water.

But he denied they were knocked out for the rescue.

"All Wild Boars Saved", read one headline. "I'm happy that the boys are out too", Khamluh Guntawong, grandfather of the team coach Ekkapol Chantawong, said.

The clearest images yet of the murky waters show divers using pulleys, ropes and rubber piping to haul members of the football team to safety.

Other reports by iNewsToday