There were 3 police officer-involved shootings this weekend

Cheryl Sanders
July 17, 2018

The family of Sharath Koppu, an Indian student who was killed in Kansas City in America earlier this month, expressed relief over a suspect in the incident being shot dead. The suspected gunman, armed with a high-powered semiautomatic rifle, fled the scene in a vehicle with a second individual, police said. There, more gunfire was exchanged and the third officer was shot. Soon after Sharath's killing, the Kansas City Police had released a screen grab of the suspect's identity from a CCTV camera. According to police, there was an exchange of gunfire when the shooting suspect was found.

All three of the officers have been hospitalized and are in stable condition.

Jagdeesh Subramanian, president of the India Association of Kansas City, said the group is grateful to police for pursuing Koppu's shooting diligently and that "there is some closure" with the person of interest's death, local paper reported.

The suspect was initially being investigated as a person of interest in a homicide.

Koppu, from Telangana, was a software engineer who came to the USA in January to pursue his master's degree. Police caught up with him in a home near 30th and Topping, just north of I-70, and about four miles from the motel.

"We want to protect as many people as we can from the gunfire", Becchina said.

Investigators have not released the name of the officers who were shot at this point or described their injuries.

Chief Smith said investigators have been searching for that man since the shooting, and Sunday was the first time they encountered him.

According to police, undercover detectives and tactical operations were working an ongoing investigation at the Sky Vu Motel at 8300 E. 40 Highway.

Police took the vehicle and placed the other person in custody, though Becchina said that individual isn't believed to be involved in the fatal robbery or the shootings of the officers.

Shortly before 1 p.m., witnesses reported a barrage of gunshots near the area police were searching. The condition of the third officer is unknown. He was later declared deceased by KCFD.

One additional officer was injured in the tradeoff and taken to the hospital. The standoff continues at this time.

Officers with assault rifles blocked off the area during the search.

Other reports by iNewsToday