Rescued boys generally healthy and smiling - Thai official

Cheryl Sanders
July 12, 2018

Eight of the boys were brought out on stretchers over the first two days - four on Sunday and four on Monday.

Four boys and the coach are still trapped.

Officials lavished praise on the Thai and worldwide divers who executed the unsafe rescue mission, guiding boys who can barely swim and have no diving experience through a treacherous 4-kilometer-long (2 1/2-mile) escape route that twisted and turned and rose and fell inside the mountain cave complex.

Information on the rescue operation, the health of those rescued - and their identities - has been tightly guarded by Thai authorities. Another two more boys left the cave complex a short time later followed by the fourth boy. Now, two boys along with their football coach remain in the caves.

1 NEWS' Kimberlee Downs with the latest from Chiang Rai, as four boys and their football coach await rescue. He confirmed that three navy SEALs and a doctor who had been with the boys inside the cave also emerged safely.

They are still being quarantined from their parents because of the risk of infection and would likely be kept in hospital for a week to undergo tests, officials said. Medical experts say they are in high spirits and generally healthy. A British diving team reached the 12 boys and their coach after nine days.


He was taken by helicopter and then ambulance to the hospital in Chiang Rai were the first four boys, who were rescued on Sunday, are now being held in quarantine as they undergo tests.

Rescue operation chief Narongsak Osotthanakorn, former governor of Chiang Rai, made the announcement at the Pong Pha tambon administration organisation near the cave on Tuesday morning.

But according to Los Angeles-based Ivanhoe Pictures, they have been officially picked by the Thai government and navy to develop the film.

"We expect that everybody will be out today, the children and coach and everybody will be out today", Osatanakorn told reporters.

"The machine has already been delivered to Thailand and ready to use in the rescue operation in a partially flooded cave Khao Luang", - he wrote.

Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong, Inspector General of the Public Health Ministry, said the first four boys taken out on Sunday were eating normal and plain food.


The emergence of the second batch of four on Monday evening was greeted with a simple "Hooyah" by the Thai SEAL team on their Facebook page, an exclamation that lit up Thai social media.

He said they would need to keep at least two metres away for their boys for at least 48 hours, until "we are sure there is no infection, then they can visit them normally".

"I beg Phra Pirun because the Meteorological Department said that from Monday on there will be continuous rain", Bancha said.

They have also been given sunglasses to wear as they adjust to daylight after days trapped in the dark. The mission today is more hard than in the past two days, with all nine to be brought out.

"Just returned from Cave 3", tweeted the CEO. He posted photos of the cave interior and a video showing people working their way through chest-high water.

The submarine was constructed in about eight hours and was tested in a Los Angeles pool with a person inside, including maneuvering through obstacles that replicate the cave's narrowest passages.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER