First Four Boys Rescued From Thai Cave

Ross Houston
July 8, 2018

Divers had earlier launched a daring and unsafe mission to rescue the children and their soccer coach, who had been trapped underground for more than two weeks. Chiang Rai acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn said two divers will accompany each boy as they are led out of the cave.

A short time later, the Thai Navy SEAL official Facebook page announced four people were out of the cave.

Eight Australian divers are involved in the hazardous attempt to rescue a group of boys trapped in a Thailand cave for two weeks. The rising water filled large stretches of the cave, cutting off the team's escape route and keeping rescuers from finding the team for 10 days, CBS News noted.

Without going into detail about the rescue, he said that "hundreds of people have vetted" the plan to bring the boys to safety, although "there will always be margins for error".

"He added: "They can not decide how many of them will be able to come out for the first operation". The impending rains made that option less viable, as it will take too long.

The rescue operation began at 10 a.m. Sunday when expert divers entered the cave.


Musk said on Twitter a team from his rocket company SpaceX in Los Angeles was building a "tiny kid-size submarine" to help with the rescue, although gave a timeline that suggests it would not arrive in Thailand until Monday at the earliest. That's the name of the young boys' team. The first group could be out of the cave by 9:00 pm local time (2:00 pm GMT) on Sunday.

"They don't know us", he said. General Kongcheep Tantrawanit said, referring to the area where rescue workers had set up a base.

The group and their families had all given their agreement that they should be moved as soon as possible, he said. "Everyone is a professional so we're trying to put it away and avoid it happening again", he said, adding: "Everybody is focusing on getting these boys out - keeping them alive or getting them out". They have not specified how the boys would be transported from the cave's entrance when they are freed, but several helicopters have been on standby for days, prepared to bring them to the hospital for treatment.

Zweig said that the hard rescue mission was comparable to climbing Mount Everest.

He says: "If we keep on waiting and the rains come in the next three or four days, our readiness will decrease". The boys' coach also wrote a letter.

The operation to extricate the 12 Thai boys and their coach, who have been trapped since Jun 23, from the bowels of the cave began at 10am on Sunday morning.


According to rescue authorities, 14-year-old Adul "Dul" Sam-on will be one of the first four kids to come out, while the coach will be the last. To reach the boys, divers must navigate a series of dark, flooded tunnels for up to six hours. When he checked it at 7 p.m., there were at least 20 calls from anxious parents, none of whose sons had come home.

Divers have brought the boys "food, electrolyte drinks, drinking water, medicine and oxygen canisters", the AP reports.

Their plight has transfixed Thailand and the rest of the world, as authorities have struggled to devise a plan to get the boys and their coach out through twisting, narrow and jagged passageways that in some places are completely flooded.

Officials have said that conditions are as ideal as they can be for the rescue attempt, factoring in the weather and water and oxygen levels in the cave, as well as the boys' health.

The boys and the coach will dive out of the cave one at a time, each accompanied by a member of a team of global and Thai divers.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER