2nd rescue underway at flooded Thai cave

Cheryl Sanders
July 11, 2018

On Sunday, the divers managed to rescue four of the twelve children trapped in the flooded cave.

The 12 boys - members of a Thai youth soccer team and aged between 11 and 16 - and their coach were trapped in the Tham Luang Nang Non cave system June 23 following heavy rains; however, they were found alive a week later by divers.

Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha paid a visit to all the rescue teams on Monday before leaving to see the evacuees at the hospital in the city centre.

The head of the rescue mission, Narongsak Osottanakorn, said last week they would bring the fittest people in the group out first.

Rescue operations were stopped Sunday evening post the rescue of four boys to replace air tanks and supplies, and it resumed Monday morning.

At a news conference Monday, former Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn said the second rescue involved numerous same divers who brought the four boys out on Sunday.


He said the plan is to launch the third rescue mission within 20 hours, and he is hoping for "100 per cent success".

Rescuers have been navigating a risky and complicated plan to get the children out under the threat of heavy rain and rising water underground.

The evacuation procedure calls for the boys to receive initial medical treatment there before rescuers take them through the remaining stretch of the cave to a field hospital outside, and then transport them by helicopter or ambulance to join their colleagues at the hospital.

Thirteen foreign divers and five members of Thailand's elite navy SEAL unit make up the main team guiding the boys to safety through narrow, submerged passageways that claimed the life of a former Thai navy diver on Friday.

The eight freed boys of the Thai soccer team may have seen daylight for the first time in weeks, but they still can not come face-to-face with their loved ones.

Officials have said storms forecast for the province had factored into their decision to go ahead with a complicated and risky plan to have the boys and their coach dive out of the cave.


The rescue has been underway ever since and eight of the boys are now out thanks to a team of expert divers.

Billionaire Elon Musk and his team of engineers have developed a rescue pod that may be able to help rescue the Thai boys and their football coach, trapped in a cave in Thailand.

Chiang Rai health officials have told the Thai media that the families of the children can see them later tonight but "no hugging, no kissing" until their blood results are known.

"We surveyed the cave to find good spots that we could say OK, from this route to this route, if anything unexpected or there's a panic, we go here, and in this other part, if any panic happens, this is where we're gonna go", he said. Four boys and their football coach are still trapped inside the cave.

The boys and their coach have been trapped in the cave system in the country's north for about two weeks.

The cave complex is off-limits during the rainy season, which usually runs from May to October when downpours can quickly flood it.


Thailand's Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda has revealed the same divers who rescued the four boys will also conduct the next operation due to their knowledge of the terrain. Kanet said the boys will be treated as disaster victims and given psychological evaluations and other assistance after their ordeal.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER