Taliban declares ceasefire with Afghanistan for Eid

Cheryl Sanders
June 11, 2018

The Taliban said that "foreign occupiers are the exception", adding that the group will hence continue operations against them: "We will attack them wherever we see them".

The Taliban announced on Saturday that it had agreed to a three-day ceasefire with Afghan security forces for Eid al-Fitr in the middle of June, following a truce deal already proposed by President Ashraf Ghani.

On the other hand, similar attacks occurred on Saturday, Jun 9, in a border district with Tajikistan, in which about 20 soldiers of the Afghan security forces were killed.

The UN Secretary-General's Special Representative for Afghanistan, Tadamichi Yamamoto, said in a statement he hoped the ceasefires would "serve as a stepping stone" towards peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban.

But the Taliban say they will stop fighting for three days.


The government announced the ceasefire last week.

Two days after the president's ceasefire declaration, the Taliban also announced that their fighters would not attack Afghan security forces during three days of Eid but would not cease fighting against foreign forces.

In the 17 years the war has been going on, this is the first time Afghans have officially experienced an armistice between the Afghan government and Taliban.

Wadir Safi, a professor of global law and politics at Kabul University, said the Taliban's decision was an acknowledgment that, despite their ability to pose a serious challenge to the state and maintain control over vast areas of rural Afghanistan, it would be equally unable to achieve its goals through force. The attack apparently targeted the Education Department in Jalalabad, officials said.

This attack, however, was not the last one in the string of incidents Monday.


The NATO-led mission also said the cease-fire would not include counterterrorism efforts against Islamic State-Khorasan, al-Qaida and other regional and other global terrorist groups.

On June 4, at least 14 people, including seven religious scholars and four security personnel, were killed when a suicide bomber detonated at an Ulema gathering in Kabul.

Taliban rebels stormed an Afghan National Army (ANA) base in Kandahar's Shah Walikot district, local media quoted a regional military spokesman as confirming. "They will kill more to make up for their ceasefire days". "Insurgents have set fire to two military Humvees as well as the checkpoint", he said.

There was no report of other casualties.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER