New York Sues to Dissolve Donald J. Trump Foundation

Cheryl Sanders
June 14, 2018

New York's attorney general on Thursday sued U.S. President Donald Trump and his namesake foundation, saying the nonprofit should be dissolved after more than a decade of illegal conduct, including support for Trump's 2016 U.S. presidential campaign.

"Our investigation found that the Trump Foundation raised in excess of $2.8 million in a manner created to influence the 2016 presidential election at the direct and under the control of the senior leadership of the Trump presidential campaign", the attorney general said.

Underwood said her office began probing the foundation in June 2016, when Schneiderman was still attorney general, and found that it operated without any oversight by a functioning board of directors.

Also named in the suit were Mr Trump's two sons, Eric and Donald Jr.


Trump's children were on a board that "existed in name only" and did not meet after 1999, according to the lawsuit, leaving their father without any oversight to do with the foundation what he wished. She also asked that Trump be banned from heading any other nonprofits in NY for the next decade.

"The president added: ".Schneiderman, who ran the Clinton campaign in NY, never had the guts to bring this ridiculous case, which lingered in their office for nearly 2 years.

The Trump campaign, at the time, said the foundation meant to cooperate with the investigation.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman speaks during a news conference to discuss the civil rights lawsuit filed against The Weinstein Companies and Harvey Weinstein in New York on February 12, 2018.REUTERS/Brendan McDermid Schneiderman, Underwood's predecessor who started the investigation, resigned last month after allegations of abusing multiple women were made public.


Mr Schneiderman resigned as New York's attorney general in May and has been replaced by Barbara Underwood.

These include Trump's use of the charity's money to settle legal disputes involving his for-profit businesses.

In a couple of tweets, Trump called the case "ridiculous" and said he would not settle the lawsuit. Five years later, the foundation doled out $158,000 to settle a lawsuit with a man angry that he did not receive a $1 million hole-in-one prize during a tournament at another golf club.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER