Entry level Apple MacBook launch rumoured for June

Yolanda Curtis
March 12, 2018

This rumour is given fuel, as not only does the current MacBook sport a Retina display, but LG's display-making division has been ramping up production of a-SI panels sporting a Retina-grade resolution of 2,560x1,600.

But unlike the MacBook Air and its now rather anaemic screen, the new MacBook will rock the rather lovely Retina display, which is known for having excellent colour accuracy and nicely polished pixels.


Whilst it seems like it will be cheaper than the current 12-inch MacBook which costs $1299, Digitimes is not very precise when it comes to pricing.

A Digitimes report published today notes that while Apple originally looked to reduce cost by seeking panel supply for the new MacBook from a China-based maker, Apple finally made a decision to source the panels from Korea-based LG Display due to issues at the China supplier.


Ming-Chi Kuo says the new laptop is coming this year and DigiTimes says it's coming in June. Last year, Apple announced the iMac Pro, HomePod, and updates to iMacs and all Mac laptops at the event. The current MacBook Pro has the same 2560 x 1600-pixel resolution. It's price is estimated to be about the same as the existing MacBook Air or slightly higher. Quanta has landed 70% of the orders for assembly and Foxconn has the remaining 30%. The new entry-level iPad will reportedly launch in Q2 2018.

DigiTimes Research senior analyst Jim Hsiao expects shipments of the new MacBook to only reach about two thirds of Apple's expectations in 2018. The new 9.7-inch iPad is expected to arrive in the second quarter, perhaps alongside the new MacBook at WWDC.


Meanwhile, the upstream supply chain has recently begun shipping components for iPad Pro upgrades and a new low-cost 9.7-inch iPad - a refreshed version of its 2017 counterpart.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER