Hawaiians rattled by 'false alarm' missile alert sent to their mobile phones

Pablo Tucker
January 13, 2018

"There is absolutely no incoming ballistic missile threat to Hawaii right now".

Brian Schatz says a false alarm about a missile threat was based on "human error" and was "totally inexcusable".

Gabbard told CNN on Saturday that the phone went to every phone in Hawaii.


An emergency alert notification sent out on Saturday claiming a "ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii" was a false alarm, according to the Hawaii Office of Emergency Management and a tweet from one of the state's Democratic congresswomen.

It is unclear at this time how or why the original emergency message was sent out. Earlier this year, a false alarm was issued by the U.S. Forces Korea evacuation system as a result of a suspected hack. "The whole state was terrified". At 1:20 p.m. ET, Hawaii's Emergency Management Agency tweeted, "NO missile threat to Hawaii". "There needs to be tough and quick accountability and a fixed process".

NORAD spokesman Lt. Commander Joe Nawroo said that they were trying to establish how the serious command and control error was made.


This video captures the moment the alert broke through regular television programming and urged listeners to seek shelter. Today's alert was a mistake, but the Age of Stupid we all live in is very real and every bit as scary.

"There is no missile threat", the Democratic senator tweeted.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER