NYC Police Capture Bomb Suspect After Subway Explosion Near Times Square

Carla Harmon
December 13, 2017

Video posted on showed smoke and a man lying in the tunnel that connects sections of the Times Square subway station and the bus station.

In September 2016, a man injured 31 people when he set off a homemade bomb in New York's Chelsea district.

The suspect, identified as Akayed Ullah, 27, was taken into custody and transported to Bellevue Hospital with burns and lacerations to his body.

Former New York City Police Department Commissioner Bill Bratton told MSNBC's Lisa Daftari that Ullah acted in the name of the terrorist group ISIS.

Ullah and three others were being treated for non-life-threatening injuries in what the mayor and NYPD labeled an attempted terror attack.

The suspect had looked as Islamic State propaganda online and told investigators he acted alone in retaliation for USA military aggression, law enforcement officials said.

"This was an attempted terrorist attack", Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

NY police shut down an entire block of row houses in Windsor Terrace, deploying a large show of force with at least one helicopter flying overhead.

President Trump "has been briefed on the explosion in New York City", White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said via a tweet.

Investigators said the suspect was seen on surveillance footage putting the circuits together with his hands and igniting the bomb.

Police quickly evacuated the Port Authority station and closed roads in the area, which were filled with police cars and ambulances with flashing lights.

Meanwhile, officials said the suspect has made statements, but they would not disclose that information.

An eyewitness Francisco Ramirez told CNN that he heard two explosions as he was exiting a bus about 7:45 a.m. ET, even though he was wearing headphones.

The incident occurred less than two months after an Uzbek immigrant killed eight people by speeding a rental truck down a New York City bike path, in an attack for which ISIS claimed responsibility. "We understand that", Cuomo said. Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the perpetrator used an amateur "effectively low-tech device". It was the first deadly terror attack in NY since 9/11.

Other reports by iNewsToday