Suing IFFI for contempt of court: 'S Durga' director, Sanal Kumar Sasidharan

Carla Harmon
November 23, 2017

At IFFI's Open Forum on Wednesday, Nayar tried to raise the question of the film's screening.

International Film Festival of India (IFFI) director Sunit Tandon said there was no direction yet from the Union Information and Broadcasting Ministry on the screening of Sanal Kumar Sasidharan's film, S Durga at the festival, as ordered by the Kerala High Court on Tuesday.


S Durga, formerly named Sexy Durga, had also got into trouble with the Central Board of Film Certification over its name, before it screened at the Mumbai Academy of Moving Image (MAMI) Festival. The film that faced objections from a certain section also led to exit of two jury members from the festival, namely Bollywood filmmaker Sujoy Ghosh and writer Apurva Asrani.

An appeal filed by the Assistant Solicitor General of India before the Division Bench of the court said the petitioner had contended that his movie, which was screened by the jury for Panorama Selection, was excluded from the list at the instance of the Central Government.


"We didn't get any information from the I&B ministry".

On Nov 21, news about the Kerala High Court having directed the Ministry of I&B and IFFI to screen director Sanal Kumar Sasidharan "s "S Durga" surfaced.The film was initially dropped from the Indian Panorama section by the Ministry citing "law and order issues". The festival director simply said, "I will let you know whenever I hear of it". When asked if there was any confirmation from the organisers, Sasidharan told us, "We've set them two mails asking for clarity but so far, there has been no response from their side". But he told me that he is not the right person to discuss about this. The Kerala-based director is at present attending the Asia-Pacific Film Festival in Australia. This is totally unconstitutional, I am going for contempt of court.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER