Saudi-led strike kills 29 at Yemen market

Henrietta Brewer
November 2, 2017

The airstrike Wednesday hit a hotel and neighboring market in Saada province, which is located near the border with Saudi Arabia.

Residents at the scene picked through the remnants of stalls, some still smouldering, reduced to spindly metal frames and scattered wreckage, AFP photos showed.

The coalition has denied intentionally targeting civilians or infrastructure, but local and global human rights organizations said the Saudis have committed war crimes against the civilians.


There was no immediate reaction from the coalition. The Alliance, which began air strikes on Yemen in March 2015, has been repeatedly accused of bombing civilian targets, including schools, hospitals and houses, with a death toll of thousands of people.

Last month, the United Nations blacklisted the coalition for infanticide during its war on Yemen.

Saudi Arabia rejected the report, saying it was "inaccurate and misleading".


The agency said 9 people were seriously injured in the attack, without giving further details.

The coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015 to support President Abd-Rabu Mansour Hadi's government after Houthi rebels forced him into exile.

A vehicle was also targeted by Saudi fighter jets in the province's al-Dhaher District, killing two more civilians.


Qassemi then extended empathy with the families of the victims of the deadly attack, and said, "With its violent attacks targeting the innocent people of Yemen, Saudi Arabia is seeking to compensate for its political and military failures".

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER