IHC orders action against Faizabad Interchange protestors

Henrietta Brewer
November 19, 2017

Ahsan said that it was the duty of the protesters to oblige to the orders of Islamabad High Court.

Meanwhile, the government and the organizers of Faizabad sit-in held another round of talks in Islamabad.

Senator Raja Zafarul Haq is heading a negotiating team which held multiple session of talks with religious leaders and scholars.

The Islamabad police chief and chief commissioner, as well as an interior ministry official, were summoned in person at the next hearing.

There was a stalemate in the talks as the protesters stick to their demand of resignation by Federal Law Minister Zahid Hamid. "The Khatm-e-Nabuwwat issue should not be used to achieve political objectives and for creating divisions in the country", he said.


The meeting decided that the participants of the sit-in would be given a final warning as well as a written order to end their protest till 10:00 tonight.

Referring to the government's orders of clearing the protest site within 24 hours, Qadri said that they would not clear the area as long as all of their demands were not met. He said police and other LEAs are not in mood to take action against the protestors due to their possible reaction in case of operation against them.

A spokesperson for Shuhada Foundation of Pakistan, Hafiz Ehtasham Ahmad, also addressed the press conference and said that the government should refrain from going ahead with the operation.

Justice Siddiqui lamented that the district administration had been unsuccessful in exercising its authority to end the protest. He asked, "why is it so hard for them to remove the federal minister for law?"

The protestors, staging a sit-in at Faizabad Interchange, remained put as the deadline to vacate the vital junction passed on Friday night.


A heavy contingent of Islamabad Police, Frontier Corps and Rangers personnel arrived on Saturday morning at the Faizabad, equipped with tear gas and shell guns to disperse the crowd that have been protesting since 12 days at the interchange.

The IHC on Friday took notice of the non-implementation of its earlier orders that directed the protest at Faizabad Interchange to be dislodged.

Following Friday's court order, the district administration had called a meeting in which it was made a decision to give the protesters a "last chance".

"I failed to understand that when this Court has already passed a detailed judgment that any citizen exercising his right of free movement or expression, cannot be allowed to take away other citizens' rights and reduce the capital territory into a siege area", he stated in the order.

On Thursday, the National Assembly had passed the Elections (Amendment) Bill 2017 to restore Khatm-i-Nabuwwat laws to their original form and make sections relating to it "more effective".


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER