Vehicle left family's home after missing 3-year-old put outside

Cheryl Sanders
October 13, 2017

Wesley Mathews, 37, punished his 3-year-old daughter Sherin Mathews after she refused to drink her milk by making her stand outside early Saturday morning, reported Fox News.

Richardson police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation continue to sort through the evidence seized this week from the home of a missing toddler girl as the search enters its sixth day. A working phone number for Mathews could not be found and it's not clear if he's hired an attorney to speak on his behalf.

Richardson police are still looking for the toddler and have issued an Amber Alert ever since she went missing on Saturday.

Before he stopped cooperating with police, he told them he left her outside by a tree at 3 a.m.

Officials have not released an official statement as to what their leads are regarding Williams' possible whereabouts but they said that when they arrived at the home, coyotes were recently spotted in the alley behind the area where the girl was last seen by her father.

Mathews told police that he went back inside thinking that the girl would return home.

After he told the police that he had indeed sent Sherin out of the house at the odd hour, the Richardson police arrested Wesley and charged him for abandoning or endangering the child. "Why was the last sighting at 3 o'clock and the parents not call us until after 8 am, that's the question we want answered as well", Perlich was quoted as saying by Dallas Morning News. "As far as why she was out there, how long she was out there, that's the questions we have for the parents".

The Mathews family adopted the girl two years ago at an orphanage in India and she was malnourished when the couple took her in. "The 3-year-old is Asian, 36" tall, weighs 22 lbs., and has black hair and brown eyes.

Williams is said to have developmental issues such as limited verbal communication skills. Mathews told investigators it wasn't unusual for the girl to wake up late at night to eat so that her weight would increase, Perlich said.

The police are now on the look out for any possible video footage that might have captured the movement of the vehicle.

Police were checking on registered sex offenders in the area who might be connected to Sherin's disappearance, but noted there was no evidence she had been kidnapped. They were doing feedings throughout the day and night.

Other reports by iNewsToday