Hamas security chief in Gaza survives assassination bid

Cheryl Sanders
October 29, 2017

It did not immediately give details of the source of the explosion, in central Gaza.

Regarding the assassination attempt itself, for which ISIS claimed responsibility yesterday, Elbazem stated that the incident is still under investigation.

Pictures released on Hamas's Twitter account show Abu Naim smiling, as Hamas Politburo Chief Ismail Haniyeh squeezes his hand and pats his forehead.

"Tawfiq Abu Naim, director general of the internal security forces, survived a failed assassination attempt Friday after his vehicle was blown up in the Nusseirat refugee camp", a ministry statement said. Israel has also called on Hamas to sever ties with Iran, one of its top patrons.

"General Tawfiq Abu Naim left the al-Shifa Hospital...and is in good health". The two parties have been at loggerheads since Hamas ousted the Fatah-dominated PA from Gaza in 2007.

He assured that "this criminal attempt will not diminish our resolve to achieve the Palestinian national reconciliation". A major sticking point is expected to be Hamas's refusal to disarm its 25,000-strong armed wing.

The Hamas terrorist organization will hand over control of Gaza's border crossings to the Palestinian Authority this Wednesday, stated Iyad Elbazem, the Hamas regime's Interior Ministry spokesperson yesterday (Saturday).

The statements of the Hamas leaders all confirmed their desire to move forward in the reconciliation. However, previous such attempts at reconciliation have repeatedly failed.

Abu Naim is the second Hamas leader to be targeted this year in Gaza, after military commander Mazen Faqha was shot dead near his home in March.

While Barhoum did not specifically accuse anyone of plotting the incident, Deputy Hamas Chief in Gaza Khalil al-Hayya blamed Israel.

However, the Popular Resistance Committees, an umbrella of smaller terror groups in the Strip, blamed Israel, saying "the fingerprints of the Zionists are clear".

Other reports by iNewsToday