Body of young nurse who died on Fiji honeymoon being flown home

Henrietta Brewer
October 10, 2017

While in hospital, her condition worsened, forcing staff to place her in an induced coma.

Her mother flew to Fiji to meet Chase Clarke while her father and siblings remained in Australia.

Kelly Clarke with her husband Chase on their wedding day.

"Kelly was a dedicated nurse who loved working with children and will be greatly missed by her colleagues and patients", the spokeswoman said.

'You (were a) handsome girl and fantastic sister you will be deeply missed, ' he wrote.

Mr Kelly was back at the resort collecting the couple's belongings when doctors put her under.

It was later confirmed on the fundraising page that costs to transport Kelly's body home will be covered by insurance, and that donations "will go a long way to help the family in the hard times to come".

Mrs Clarke grew up in Killarney Heights and worked for years at the Kirribilli Club where the couple celebrated their wedding in April.

Mrs Clarke was a nurse at Westmead Children's Hospital.

So far more than $42,000 has been raised for the devastated family. Local medical professionals disagreed and rushed Kelly to Lautoka Hospital.

Mrs Clarke finally succumbed to her illness at 10.40pm on Friday night, less than an hour before a medevac team arrived to airlift her to Sydney.

"I told her I loved her, we're going to get out of here, everything's going to be okay".

Mr Clarke now has to plan a funeral six months after the couple were Wednesday.

Upon arrival, he said he needed to dress her body in clothes before it was wrapped in a body bag.

'This disgusting situation shouldn't have happened, ' Mr Clarke said.

'Kelly has passed away, ' he wrote.

The Department of Foreign Affairs has declined to discuss her case - but say it is providing consular assistance.

The family were initially told it would cost $61,000 to bring the young woman home - but her insurance covered the cost.

Her parents Graham and Karen Shaw have flown to Fiji and have chartered a private jet to fly her body home but are awaiting approval from Fijian authorities which could take several days.

Other reports by iNewsToday