MotoGP star CLEARED to compete in Aragon Grand Prix

Andrew Cummings
September 22, 2017

Yamaha's Valentino Rossi will try to make a race return in Spain this weekend, three weeks after breaking his leg in an off-road training accident, if MotoGP doctors give him the green light. The immediate result was Rossi missing out on the San Marino Grand Prix at Misano, where the team chose to contest with only Maverick Vinales, instead of two riders.

Valentino Rossi will have to pass a mandatory physical check by the chief medical officer at MotorLand Aragon. The Movistar Yamaha was given the OK by the circuit medical director Clemente Millan and will attempt to ride in tomorrow's free practice one session.


Rossi won the Dutch MotoGP in Assen in June to reignite his dream of a 10th world title and is fighting to be fit for the final races of the season which finishes on November 12 in Valencia.

But going into this weekend, he said: "If I will be declared fit to ride, I'll have the real answer after FP1, because riding the M1 [MotoGP bike] will be a much bigger challenge". If the world champion is unable to continue with the remainder of the weekend, Van der Mark will take his place astride the M1.


The Italian is 42 points behind joint championship leaders Marc Marquez and Andrea Dovizioso.

But after he passed the medical check Rossi's Movistar Yamaha team said in a statement: "The Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Team will start round 14 of the MotoGP World Championship with their original rider line-up". So far, Rossi's test rides have been on slower road bikes.


"In general I feel quite good".

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER