Counter-terror officers visited Parsons Green suspect's home, says neighbour

Carla Harmon
September 21, 2017

Across London, more armed police and sniffer dogs have been deployed to cover the city's transport network and at other public places, as authorities continue to investigate the attack which injured at least 29 people in the Parsons Green subway station during the morning rush hour on Friday.

Men aged 30 and 48 were detained during a raid by counter-terrorism officers at a home in Newport, South Wales at around 5.10am on Wednesday. The elderly couple had been fostering refugees, including children from Afghanistan and Iraq.

A third suspect, a 25-year-old man who locals described as a student and part-time decorator, was arrested in Newport on Tuesday evening.

Commander Dean Haydon, head of the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, said: "This continues to be a fast-moving investigation".

According to his Facebook profile, Farroukh is originally from Damascus and living in London, having studied English at West Thames College.

The 21-year-old suspect has been named as Yahyah Farroukh.

London police say a second man has been arrested in connection with the London subway attack.

Farroukh was arrested after he finished his shift at a fried chicken shop in Hounslow, west London.

Yahya is one of nine siblings, and members of his family told ABC News that Yahya never had radical or violent tendencies and the family last spoke with him on Saturday morning and "everything seemed fine and normal and Yahya told them about school and was even talking about getting married".

Of the other suspect, he added: "I think it is widely known that this person who lives at (the Stanwell) property was a former foster child at the property which was raided yesterday".

"He did some painting on our house about two years ago", said a neighbour. One had attracted police attention because of a minor offence, a family friend told the Times, but it was the quieter boy who had been detained at Dover.

Assistant Metropolitan Police Commissioner Mark Rowley said police had gained a "greater understanding" of how the bomb was prepared, but said there was "still much more to do".

The 18-year-old man is believed to be an Iraqi orphan who moved to the United Kingdom when he was 15 years old, after his parents died.

The video shows a man dressed in grey carrying a Lidl shopping bag.

The Islamic State group claimed the attack, which was caused by explosives left in a bucket in a tube carriage.

Amid the chaos created by the recent terrorist attack at Parsons Green station, the British officials have lowered the country's official terrorist threat level from "critical" to "severe".

"Severe still means that an attack is highly likely, so I would urge everybody to be vigilant but not alarmed", Home Secretary Amber Rudd said.

The president tweeted on Friday, two hours after the attack: "Another attack in London by a loser terrorist".

Other reports by iNewsToday