Bomb kills at least 15 in Pakistani city of Quetta

Cheryl Sanders
August 13, 2017

At least 15 people, including eight security personnel, were killed and scores were wounded when a powerful bomb went off near an army truck in Quetta on Saturday.

Balochistan Home Minister Sarfaraz Bugti refused to give any information about the nature of the blast saying "rescue operations are our priority".

A suicide motorbike bomber was behind the blast, the statement said.

Security forces cordoned off the blast site for investigations. The military's media wing, the ISPR, confirmed 15 shaheed, including seven civilians, and 25 injured, among them 15 civilians. He said it was not immediately clear if it was a suicide blast or a remotely controlled explosive device.


The ISPR revealed that an on-duty security vehicle was targeted in the blast, adding that 10 security officials were also among those injured in the attack.

The intensity of the blast was reportedly severe as it was heard in far off areas and caused a huge fire in which some vehicles and auto rickshaws were also damaged.

The injured were rushed to Civil Hospital, where a state of emergency was declared.

The blast came two days before Pakistan's 70th Independence Day, and the military chief said it was an effort to mar celebrations.


The local affiliate has been known to work with Pakistani militant groups in previous attacks. "Our resolve won't succumb to any challenge", General Bajwa said.

Earlier in June, three security officials were injured after an improvised explosive device (IED) seemingly targeted their vehicle in the Johan area of Kalat.

Past attacks in the province have been claimed by the Pakistani Taliban, ISIL, as well as by Baloch separatist fighters who are fighting for independence from Pakistan.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER