Turkish government extends state of emergency rule for another three months

Cheryl Sanders
July 18, 2017

The Turkish parliament extended the ongoing state of emergency on July 17 by three more months starting from July 19, its fourth such extension after a coup attempt last July.

The Turkish government filed a request to the parliament earlier in the day to extend the state of emergency.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan marked the anniversary of a failed coup with a pair of speeches in which he said Turkey needed to forge its own path.


"First of all we will chop off the heads of those traitors", Erdogan said as he reaffirmed previous comments to sign any bill passed restoring capital punishment.

Bulent Tezcan, the spokesman of the Republican People's Party (CHP), said the government was using the commemorations for the anniversary of the failed July 15, 2016, coup to "write a fabricated history".

Meanwhile, Turkey's main opposition party says the government is blocking a full investigation into the coup.


Relations between the European Union and Turkey deteriorated since the coup bid in Turkey a year ago, which left 250 people martyred and almost 2,200 injured.

Ankara has launched purges on an unprecedented scale against assumed supporters of the Gülen movement, accused of instigating the attempted coup d'état. Erdogan continues to lay blame to cleric-in-exile Fathulla Gulen, who lives Pennsylvania, USA. Tens of thousands of people have been dismissed or detained from the civil service, police, military, judiciary, media and academia, and rights activists have been repeatedly detained.

The state-run Anadolu news agency said the director, Ali Avci, was detained on suspicion of links to Gulen's group.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER