Linfield to probe bottle incident involving Celtic's Griffiths

Cheryl Sanders
July 17, 2017

Uefa have opened disciplinary proceedings against Linfield and Celtic following their Champions League qualifier on Friday at Windsor Park.

"The game was played in good spirit in the main and ideally it's not what you want to see". I thought it was odd to see him getting booked for it.

"We don't worry about that, we just concentrate on what's happening on the park. I feel much more in control of where I need to be when we don't have the ball and are defending".

Second-half goals from Maxwel Cornet, Myziane Maolida and Amine Gouiri's double gave the Europa League semi-finalists the win.

Brown said: "It was delightful to see the fans over".

Linfield chairman Roy McGivern walked down to that area of the stadium, but his intervention failed to prevent further incidents.

The statement said: "The club will be reviewing our own footage and investigating an incident that took place during the match where a number of objects were thrown on to the pitch".

"We'll just have a look at it and get the thoughts on the officials on why it happened", said Rodgers. "The club takes the safety of fans, players and officials extremely seriously and there will be serious and lasting consequences for anyone involved".

"I took him off because he was booked and sometimes you never know how these games go".

In terms of the football itself, Rodgers was satisfied with a performance that puts Celtic firmly on the front foot ahead of the second leg on Wednesday evening. On what was always going to be a hard occasion the players dealt with it reasonably well.

It is expected that Celtic will be looking to sign a few more players before the end of the summer transfer window and now reports have claimed that the Hoops are in a very good position to sign Hibernian star John McGinn.

While veteran Northern Ireland worldwide Roy Carroll was forced into a number of smart stops in the home goal, there was a sense that the Brendan Rodgers' team rather took their foot off the gas after going 2-0 up with 22 minutes. "But the players came through it".

Other reports by iNewsToday