Woman held in Manchester terror probe released without charge

Cheryl Sanders
June 1, 2017

Britain's security level has been upgraded to "critical" meaning officials believe another attack may be imminent.

US media outlets have been reporting details about the attack that British officials hadn't wanted to share yet, to help in their investigation.

Police investigating the Manchester Arena bomb attack have stopped sharing information with the U.S. after leaks to the media, the BBC understands.

British Prime Minister Theresa May is expected to express her country's concerns about the matter to President Donald Trump at a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation meeting on Thursday in Belgium, according to multiple published reports.

Greater Manchester Police hopes to resume normal intelligence relationships - a two-way flow of information - soon but is now "furious", the BBC understands.

"When the trust is breached it undermines these relationships, and undermines our investigations and the confidence of victims, witnesses and their family", the group said.

Police and security services are also upset that the name of bomber Salman Abedi was apparently leaked by USA officials and published while police in Britain were withholding the name for what they said were reasons of operational security.

A large part of the Manchester terror network Salman Abedi was connected to, and who helped him carry out the attack, have already been arrested.

Eight men, ages 18 to 38, were in custody, and searches were still taking place at 12 locations in the Manchester area, the city's top police official, Chief Constable Ian Hopkins, said at a news conference.

A woman had also been arrested in connection with the suicide bombing, but she was released early on Thursday morning without charge.

On Wednesday, a series of raids were executed across Manchester, Wigan and Nuneaton, Warwickshire, while relatives of bomber Salman Abedi were detained in Libya.

Grande had kept a low profile since the blast.

Other reports by iNewsToday