Ronaldo ready to pay 14.7m euros in Spanish tax fraud case

Ross Houston
June 24, 2017

The statement said that the Spanish government, through tax authorities, "issued a certificate in which it attested that he had regularized his position and was in compliance with all his tax obligations".

The accusations come as Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo was summoned to appear before a judge next month, himself accused of evading 14.7 million euros through offshore companies.

He denies the accusations and is threatening to leave Spain.

Lionel Messi, of Barcelona, was also accused of tax fraud to the value of £3.5m earlier this year, and was sentenced to 21 months in prison, though he is unlikely to face any jail time.


Ronaldo's future at Real Madrid looked guaranteed after lifting his third Champions League title with the club earlier this month, the Portugal worldwide scoring twice in a 4-1 win over Juventus.

The reigning Ballon d'Or and Best FIFA Men's Player award victor is believed to feel singled out for disproportionate treatment by the prosecutors.

Spanish prosecutors have kept up their pressure on football's alleged tax avoiders with Manchester United manager José Mourinho being the latest to be dragged before the courts.

Ferdinand is not certain Real would allow their prize asset to leave the Bernabeu but if they did, has called a potential United reunion a "fairytale". "Cristiano is a good guy, I will have to talk with Cristiano and see what's happening".


Perez said that "as far as I know Cristiano has always met [his fiscal obligations]" and that "it all must be some sort of misunderstanding that will be cleared up quickly". Right now he is a Madrid player. "This is very unusual and in the next few days I'll talk to him".

"I haven't learned very much about the situation, he's at a very important tournament at the moment in the Confederations Cup and until that ends I'm not going to disturb the atmosphere of his team", Perez said.

However club President Florentino Perez disclosed that no offers had been received by Real to tempt Ronaldo away and the club was determined to keep him.

"Real Madrid and Jose Mourinho did not sign any contract on the 31st of March 2010 for him to take over the role of coach, as is wrongly asserted by the aforementioned newspaper".


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER