Qatar rejects list of demands from Saudi Arabia

Cheryl Sanders
June 25, 2017

Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani attends the 25th Arab Summit in Kuwait City, March 25, 2014.

Qatar National Human Rights Committee has called on Doha not to accept a list of demands submitted by four Arab countries, stating that it contains conditions that violate human rights conventions and other worldwide and regional agreements.

UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash told reporters that diplomacy, however, was still a priority.

Qatar has 10 days to respond to the list, which it received from crisis mediator Kuwait, said the official.

The list also calls on Qatar to close the Turkish military base that is now under construction in Qatar as well as sever ties to all terrorist, sectarian and ideological organizations including the Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic State, al-Qaeda, Jabhat Fath al-Sham (formerly al-Nusra Front) and Lebanon's Shiite Hezbollah movement. There are a number of rules to deal with the crisis with Qatar.

What has Qatar's government said?

.


The Qatari Foreign Ministry rejected the accusations of Doha's interference in other countries' domestic affairs and expressed regret over the decision of the Gulf States to cut off diplomatic ties with it.

"It is a breach of Qatar's sovereign rights".

Qatar has dismissed a list of demands submitted by four Arab countries as neither reasonable nor actionable. Several other states in the region have reduced diplomatic relations with the country.

The demands are apparently aimed at dismantling Qatar's two-decade-old interventionist foreign policy, which has reflected the clout generated by its vast natural gas and oil wealth.

The Turkish forces conducted their first training at Tariq bin Ziyad military base earlier this month in a drill that had been long planned.

The move by Qatar's neighbors has left it under a de facto blockade.


"The US Secretary of State recently called upon the blockading nations to produce a list of grievances that was "reasonable and actionable".

The US challenge will be to gauge how ready Saudi Arabia and its allies are for real negotiations with Qatar, or whether they simply want to inflict maximum economic damage on the tiny country, and get to discussions later. In Britain, the National Union of Journalists said demands against the broadcaster were "shameful acts to clamp down on freedom of expression and the media" and pledged to raise the issue with "the relevant diplomatic representatives in London".

Tillerson's spokeswoman Heather Nauert said Tuesday the United States was "mystified" that Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies had failed to present details justifying their embargo on Qatar.

The Saudi-led ultimatum also calls for the closure of the Qatar-owned news broadcaster Al-Jazeera, the payment of compensation to its neighbors and victims of terrorism, and for Qatar to politically "align itself with Gulf and Arab" states "at all levels".

"This reflects basically an attempt from these countries to suppress free media and also undermine our sovereignty", said Al Thani, the Qatari envoy.

He described Qatar as a "Trojan horse" within the group of Arab monarchies.


DUBAI: A top Emirati diplomat said on Saturday that United States and European guarantees would be needed to monitor any future agreement aimed at ending a row between Qatar and its neighbors.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER