J&K: 2 civilians, 1 LeT terrorist killed in Anantnag

Cheryl Sanders
June 19, 2017

As many as six policemen, including a sub-inspector were killed in a terrorist attack on a police party in Jammu and Kashmir's Anantnag district on Friday.

Two civilians, one of them a teenager, were killed after security forces opened fire at a crowd marching towards the encounter site.

Within hours, Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba claimed responsibility for the attack seen as retaliation to an encounter earlier in the day where Lashkar commander Junaid Mattoo was trapped in a building and killed. In the gunfight, two of the terrorists have been killed. Majid was from Gobal village of same area.

Another daily Kashmir Life, said that several militants indiscriminately fired upon a police patrol party including a senior police officer, killing five of them on the spot.

Constable Shabir Ahmad was shot outside his residence at Bogund in Kulgam.

A gunshot was heard near a CRPF camp on Saturday morning, triggering panic in the area, a police official said. The government forces have launched massive cordon and search operation in Achabal area. There too, a civilian was killed in clashes with security forces.

Police officials said militants in the region have been targeting policemen guarding houses of politicians and other protected people to snatch rifles, in wake of weapons shortage within the militant ranks.

Khar, a resident of Kharpora Arwani area, was rushed to district hospital at Bijbehara where he was declared brought dead, police said. The police department had issued an advisory, asking policemen from south Kashmir to avoid visiting their villages in view of the threats, said the media reports.

Soon after the encounter started train services between Baramullah and Banihal were suspended and all the exams scheduled on June 17, in wake of the strike, have been postponed.

Authorities have imposed restrictions in Srinagar and other sensitive places in the Valley on Saturday, while separatists have called for a protest shutdown against the killing of the LeT militants. Security forces used force to disperse protesters at highway town of Pampore where clashes erupted after the news spread about the killing of LeT ultras.

Other reports by iNewsToday