Twin blasts in Philippine capital kill at least two

Cheryl Sanders
May 7, 2017

Two people have been killed and four others injured in an explosion in the Philippine capital, Manila. Police said at the time that the explosion, which left 14 people injured, had nothing to do with the meeting and that terrorism was not an issue.

National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief Director Oscar Albayalde said that the area of the new explosion was not far from area of the earlier blast incident on April 28 where two people were also killed.

The government of the United Kingdom issued a travel advisory on Saturday, following two explosions some 2 1/2 hours apart rocked Quiapo. "The other killed was the person who received the package", he told the DZRH radio station.


Based on the initial report, the first blast happened around 5:55 p.m. on Norzagaray Street, just a few steps away from Barbosa Police Community Precinct.

"The first explosive was inside a small box delivered as a package", Albayalde was quoted as saying by CNN.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the April 29 explosion, but police insisted it was not a terrorist attack, nor was it related in any way to the gathering of political leaders. Police did not immediately give any explanation for the explosion.


Authorities are now checking if the said blast is connected to an earlier explosion in Quiapo on April 28 that injured at least 14 people. They said one person had been arrested over that attack.

The Abu Sayyaf group, which is most infamous for kidnapping foreigners and killing them if ransoms are not paid, was blamed for the bombing of a ferry in Manila Bay in 2004 that killed 116 people.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER