Police arrest man in Wigan as father and brother detained in Libya

Cheryl Sanders
May 24, 2017

Islamic State claimed the Manchester attack in a short message in Arabic and English posted on the online messaging service Telegram and picked up by the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors militant websites.

Security services were trying to piece together the last movements of Abedi, a Briton of Libyan descent, amid media reports he had travelled recently to Libya and possibly Syria.

Her French counterpart Gerard Collomb said he had links with Islamic State and had probably visited Syria as well.

Collomb told French television the suspect "grew up in Britain and then suddenly, after a trip to Libya and then likely to Syria, became radicalised and chose to carry out this attack". His parents had emigrated from Libya to London before moving to the Fallowfield area of south Manchester, where they lived for at least 10 years.

His older brother Ismail had been a tutor at Didsbury mosque's Koran school.


The newspaper reported that Abedi was known to security services as an associate of Isis recruiter Raphael Hostey, also from Manchester, who was killed in a drone strike in Syria a year ago.

"It was more sophisticated than some of the horrific events that we have seen in the past or in other parts of Europe so people are reasonably wondering whether he did this on his own", she told the BBC. He said officers knocked on his door and "asked me if I had seen the lady next door, " so he thinks they were looking for a woman.

London police said Wednesday they would be calling in the army to help guard key landmarks, including Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament and foreign embassies.

"This means that their assessment is not only that an attack remains highly likely but that a further attack may be imminent", May said in a televised statement from her Downing Street Office after a meeting of the Government's crisis response committee.

In addition to those killed in the concert bombing, Manchester officials raised to 119 the number of people who sought medical treatment after the attack, 20 of them with critical injuries.


Three arrests have been made in connection with the Manchester terror attack. Not all of the victims have yet been named, however eight-year-old Saffie Roussos and 15-year-old Olivia Campbell are among those who lost their lives.

Monday's attack came just over two weeks before Britain votes in a general election and campaigning remained suspended by all the main political parties.

The plan for the troop deployment, which has never before been used and is codenamed Operation Temperer, was first revealed after the November 2015 Paris terror attacks and is believed to allow up to 5,000 troops to be deployed.

The attack also elicited painful memories of the 2015 terror attacks in Paris, where most of the 130 killed were at the Bataclan concert hall.

Since the atrocity, some information relating to it has come out from America rather than from the British police or security services. "There's extensive investigations going on and activity taking place across Greater Manchester as we speak".


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER