Phoenix serial killing suspect arrested in deaths of 9

Henrietta Brewer
May 10, 2017

After more than a year of investigating, Phoenix police have named a suspect in the "Serial Street Shooter" case.

All but one of the killings took place in a predominantly Latino neighborhood between March and July 2016. The deadliest shooting happened June 12, when three people - a 12-year-old girl and two women in their 30s - died after being shot outside a house.

The shooter stalked victims after dark, police have said, selecting people who were either outside of their homes or sitting in cars before opening fire with a handgun. "Many came in as, 'My neighbor has a black BMW, ' or 'My neighbor has dark hair and looks like the serial shooter.' No one tip that came in gave us the whole puzzle, just tiny pieces that helped additional evidence come into view".

Phoenix mayor Greg Stanton congratulated police and other law enforcement officials who hunted down the suspect. "Today we are closer to providing them the justice they deserve", Williams said.

A prosecutor says some information about the arrest of a Phoenix man accused in a series of fatal shootings is being withheld from the public because the case remains under investigation.


"The suspect then went on a killing spree from March of a year ago through July, police said".

Marina Smith was seven months pregnant last year when her partner, 21-year-old Diego Verdugo-Sanchez, was gunned down.

Lora Romero said there was also a personal connection in the case: Saucedo's mother was dating her dad, a divorced father of five who had moved to Phoenix from Colorado to start a janitorial business.

Police previously said at least seven people were killed and two others wounded over a four-month period previous year.

Jesse Olivas, 22, (center) was killed in January 2016.


- Maleah Ellis, 12, Stefanie Ellis, 33, and Angela Linner were shot on June 12 while sitting in a parked auto.

They found a gun that he had pawned in September 2015 and matched it to evidence from the murder of Romero, 61, who was gunned down outside his home but had not been included in the pattern identified by police.

"I had a gut feeling it was him", she told the Republic. Police haven't said what they think Saucedo's motive was in the killings or why the suspected killer stopped after the latest incident in July. "But my son is not coming back", Castro said.

"The fact of them finding somebody, at least it was some type of news", Smith said.

On March 17, 2016, police say Saucedo shot a teenage boy in the arm.


The last confirmed attack of the suspect was on 11 July, when he shot at a vehicle with a 21-year-old man and four-year-old boy inside it, although both escaped the attack unharmed.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER