Manchester attack: Who was the suspect Salman Abedi?

Cheryl Sanders
May 24, 2017

Members of his own family had even informed on him in the past, telling British authorities that he was unsafe, according to the intelligence official.

USA officials say Salman Abedi, 22, is responsible for the explosion at an Ariana Grande concert last night that killed 22 people.

May said Britain's terror threat level had been raised to critical - meaning another attack may be imminent.

United States security sources, citing British intelligence officials, said Abedi was born in Manchester to parents of Libyan origin.

Armed police officers stand outside a residential property near to where a man was arrested in the Chorlton area of Manchester, Britain May 23, 2017. He also said police had raided two residential areas in Manchester, and carried out a controlled explosion at one as part of the investigation.

Campbell had not heard from Olivia since Monday night, when she went to the Ariana Grande concert with a friend for his birthday.


In 2015, Pakistani student Abid Naseer was convicted in a USA court of conspiring with al Qaeda to blow up the Arndale shopping centre in the centre of Manchester in April 2009.

At least 20 heavily armed, helmeted police surrounded a modest red brick house listed as Abedi's address in a mixed Manchester suburb at midday on Tuesday and blasted down the door.

"They feel they have no choice other than to say it may be imminent".

Labour's Mike Gapes, who hopes to return to Parliament in the Ilford South seat, said: "We must not allow murderous terrorists to undermine our democratic society". "I thought he worked in a takeaway or something" because of his late hours, Kinsey said.

On Tuesday evening thousands of people attended a vigil in central Manchester in sombre but defiant mood.

The schoolgirl, along with eight-year-old Saffie Roussos and teenager Georgina Callander, were among the first of the terrorist's victims to be named. "And that's when the screaming started", said 25-year-old Ryan Molloy.


"Salman showed me a face of hate after that sermon", Mohammed Saeed said of the 2015 encounter.

"It was like a dream come true to her", Hodgson said of the concert. Sadly, her mother has confirmed she's among the 22 victims killed in the attack.

Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) claimed responsibility on its social media channels, saying "one of the caliphate's soldiers placed bombs among the crowds".

May said it was possible a wider group was linked to the bombing at a crowded concert hall, prompting the increase in security a little more than two weeks before a national election.

Queen Elizabeth II condemned the Manchester attack as an "act of barbarity" and observed a minute's silence at a Buckingham Palace garden reception. The attack was the deadliest in Britain since four suicide bombers killed 52 London commuters on subway trains and a bus in 2005.

Manchester, Britain's third biggest city, was hit in 1996 by a massive vehicle bomb planted at a shopping centre by the Irish Republican Army (IRA) that wounded more than 200 people.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER