Manchester attack arrests 'significant,' important items found

Cheryl Sanders
May 26, 2017

The terrorist attack was the worst to strike Britain since the "7/7 attacks" of July 7, 2005, carried out by al Qaeda operatives who targeted buses and subway stations in central London, leaving 56 people dead and more than 700 wounded.

After arresting a 23-year-old man on Tuesday, British police said they had taken three more men into custody on Wednesday in south Manchester, where Abedi lived.

The suspected suicide bomber has been identified as 22-year-old Salman Abedi, the son of refugees from Libya.

Hopkins did not elaborate on the material that has been found so far.

"The alleged leaks coming out of government agencies are deeply troubling", Trump said in a statement.

UK Home Secretary Amber Rudd yesterday described the leaks as "irritating", after details about bomber Salman Abedi, including his name, first appeared in U.S. media, adding that Britain's allies were perfectly clear that it "shouldn't happen again".

The BBC reported that British police had stopped sharing information about the Manchester bombing with the United States, due to anger over the detailed disclosures.

The White House had no immediate comment on the Manchester decision.


May said she would talk to Trump at a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit later on Thursday about the leaks, which included the publication of photographs of the bomb site by the New York Times. Trump himself has been accused of leaking confidential security information to the Russians.

Material from the scene of the atrocity, including the bomb's alleged detonator, were pictured in a story by the news outlet on Wednesday, having apparently been shared by U.S. officials. But it wasn't clear US officials were the source of the images, which the Times defended as "neither graphic nor disrespectful of victims" and consistent with basic reporting "on weapons used in horrific crimes". "We have strict guidelines on how and in what ways we cover sensitive stories".

The move, which is expected during Thursday's meeting, is symbolically important, especially since the terror group claimed responsibility Tuesday for a deadly explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England.

The pictures were apparently taken by police investigators and, according to British government ministry sources, leaked by U.S. counterparts they had been shared with.

The British Counter Terrorism Policing body said the breach of trust caused great "damage" and "undermines our investigations".

"The public should remain vigilant", May said.

As police raced to uncover the network that may have helped Abedi attack an Ariana Grande concert on Monday night, furious British officials blamed USA authorities Thursday for leaking details of the investigation to the media.

Buckingham Palace will hold a minute's silence on Thursday to honour the victims, with 14 of them having been named. A woman detained on Wednesday was released without charges.


Queen Elizabeth visited the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, where some of the casualties have been treated.

"It's terrible. Very wicked, to target that sort of thing", the 91-year-old monarch told 14-year-old Evie Mills and her parents.

In addition to those killed, 116 people have received medical treatment at Manchester hospitals for wounds from the blast. The National Health Service said 75 people were hospitalized. They labeled their initiative "A City United".

Asked whether the USA leaks had compromised the investigation, she said: "I wouldn't go that far but I can say that they are perfectly clear about the situation and that it shouldn't happen again".

British officials say the leaks compromise their investigations by telling the people they're still hunting for what they know, Phillips reports.

The Manchester-born Abedi, 22, traveled to Libya within the past year and had ties to al Qaeda before returning to the United Kingdom, according to NBC News.

"I was very annoyed with him".

They said one thread of the investigation involves pursuing whether Abedi could have been part of a larger terror cell that included Mohamed Abrini, otherwise known as "the man in the hat", with connections to the Brussels and Paris attacks.


Manchester police made four new arrests and searched an address in the city centre.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER