Alonso gives McLaren 6 months to fix failing F1 auto

Ross Houston
May 17, 2017

The Spaniard, who entered Formula One in 2001 and won his titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006.

McLaren-Honda F1 driver and two-time series champion Fernando Alonso says he has no regrets about sitting out the forthcoming Monaco Grand Prix.

While speaking ahead of this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona, Formula One driver Fernando Alonso said McLaren has until October to convince him that the team can put forth a competitive auto for the 2018 season.or else he'll start talking with other teams.

"My intention, and my first priority, is to race here (F1) next year, but not just to race..."

The season's start is in risk of damaging the reputation of the once proud McLaren, which has 12 driver titles and eight constructor titles to its name.


"This will be an important race, and people are starting to bring couple more bits", he said breezily.

Alonso returned to the circuit for the day's second running, but he was the slowest of all the 20 runners and completed the fewest laps.

Alonso, who has twice won at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, is hoping that McLaren's mechanics have worked wonders in the two weeks since Russian Federation. "We'll see what we can do from here". "Definitely, our moment right now is not the best".

"We also need to raise our game with reliability and hopefully finish with both cars in this race".

Alonso admitted drastic improvement will be needed if he is to remain at McLaren and, should that not occur, he will be open to any offers in and out of F1. And Alonso made it clear that McLaren must find a solution if it expects him to stick around next year.


Fernando Alonso bounced back from Friday's troubles to take an astonishing seventh place for McLaren and Honda in qualifying for his home race in Spain. "I will race in the Indy 500, one of the biggest races in the world. I still hope to be happy in the second half of the year", he added.

Asked about what his reaction was when he saw Alonso come to a smoky halt, Brown said: "Sadness".

"At 9 o'clock I need to be at the circuit and at 12 o'clock I need to be in the auto for first practice".

"It was my decision", Alonso said.

"I'm exhausted from this race and I'm thinking how to rest on the plane as at 09:00 tomorrow I am due to drive in free practice in Indianapolis!"


Alonso rejoined McLaren in 2015, but has endured a disappointing spell so far as Honda's engine programme has failed to deliver what the team expected.

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER