82 of the #BringBackOurGirls students have been released

Cheryl Sanders
May 14, 2017

Parents of the 82 Nigerian schoolgirls released over the weekend from Boko Haram captivity say they still await word from the government on when they will be able to see their daughters.

The governor was received by the Minister of Women Affairs, Mrs Jummai Alhassan, and the Chief Medical Director of the DSS Medical Centre, Mrs. Ann Okorafor.

Alhassan, revealed that although the 21 girls freed by the insurgents in October previous year, have been under the custody of the federal government and undergoing rehabilitation, Governor Kashim Shettima has been making financial contributions to the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs to co-fund the rehabilitation and skills acquisition programmes.

"As a lay person, not as a medical doctor, I feel that medically too they are not too bad", she added.

"When I heard that 82 girls had been released, I was glad, I was so happy", said Grace Yakubu, an aunt to Sarah Yaga.


The girls are now in the capital Abuja being looked after by government officials as they try to adjust back into society.

Kadzai said the young girls went through a lot of trauma, but hoped that the swapping of five Boko Haram members with the 82 kidnapped schoolgirls would not be a mirage in fighting the terrorist group.

Although many families are elated, the impactful social media movement, #BringBackOurGirls, is still in effect for the 113 girls who are still captives.

The released group of girls are part of the 276 girls - often referred to as the "Chibok girls" - who were abducted from their school as they took exams in the village of Chibok, in northeastern Nigeria, in April 2014.

Some of the released girls during their meeting with President Buhari on Sunday.


The parents of Chibok girls are also expected to arrive in abuja in a matter of days. Thousands have been kidnapped or killed in the group's eight-year insurgency, with millions driven from their homes.

"We want to assure Nigerians that the army and the Nigerian government won't relent until this battle is won", Usman said.

The girls said they wanted to go back to school so a nine-month reintegration programme was designed for them, the minister said.

It is unclear if the government has made other attempts to let them know if their daughters are now safe. Human rights advocates have said they fear some of the girls have been used by Boko Haram to carry out suicide bombings.

Alhassan said the girls were given adequate care by the Federal Government to enable them live a normal life.


Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER