Pentagon didn't need Donald Trump's permission to drop massive bomb in Afghanistan

Cheryl Sanders
April 20, 2017

The largest non-nuclear bomb ever used by the USA military killed dozens of ISIS militants in a strike on a network of tunnels in Afghanistan, according to the Afghan defense ministry.

A relative of Mohammed received only a message that he was killed, according to the Kerala Police intelligence wing.

Some residents in areas of Achin recently liberated from Islamic State occupation welcomed Thursday's strike, which hit headlines around the world and has been widely interpreted as a deliberate show of strength by US President Donald Trump. The GBU-43 bomb known as "Mother Of All Bombs" was dropped in Afghanistan targeting an Islamic State complex.

The bomb killed 36 IS fighters, and it's believed the death toll could rise.

More than 1,900 IS militants, several Afghan security forces and two USA soldiers have been killed in Achin and neighboring districts since 2015, according to Afghan military officials.


The Ministry of Defence said in a statement that several IS caves and ammunition caches were destroyed by the giant bomb, which terrified villagers on both sides of the Afghanistan-Pakistan border with its "earsplitting blast". It was so massive that it had to be dropped from the rear of a cargo plane, said Pentagon.

What about civilians in the area?

Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani hailed the attack on the IS position.

The United States was accused of using Afghanistan as a testing ground for one of its most powerful weapons yesterday.

He argued that the United States dropping a highly destructive non-nuclear bomb on Afghanistan is "not (about) the war on terror", rather it's about using the country "as (a) testing ground for new and risky weapons".


"Fortunately there is no report of civilians being killed in the attack", Mr Khogyani said.

As many as three dozen militants with the radical Islamic State group were killed when US forces dropped a 22,000-pound bomb on their hideout in eastern Afghanistan, defense ministry officials said Friday. Technically, the term "MOAB" comes from an official designation: Massive Ordnance Air Blast, the "mother of all bombs" is simply a nickname.

The strike was created to minimize the risk to Afghan and U.S. forces conducting clearing operations, while maximizing the destruction of ISIS fighters and facilities, said the U.S. Forces-Afghanistan, which is part of the NATO-led Resolute Support.

The attack was aimed to curb the rising threat of ISIS-K in Afghanistan, according to the US Central Command (USCENTCOM).

Security experts say IS had built their redoubts close to civilian homes, but the government said thousands of local families had already fled the area in recent months of fighting.


Military analyst Col Rick Francona said that it would "feel like a nuclear weapon to those in the area".

Other reports by iNewsToday

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER